Friday, August 21, 2009

KC Das, St Marks Road

When I joined Insilica, Sujit and Muninder introduced me to KC Das. I had ofcourse heard about KC Das, but thought of it merely as a good sweet stall. In the last two years, I think I go there for lunch or snacks(somewhat heavy snacks) atleast once in 1-2 months. The ambience etc is not the draw of the place, the food is! Wish I could say that about all eateries...well, what do you eat there? Here goes...

Start with a samosa or singara/kachori/cutlet (they have this cutlet made of paneer, capsicum, etc, I am not sure what it is called, and it is rarely available, but when it is, it is first choice). These are served with sweet chutney. As I say, it need not be samosa or kachori or cutlet, it can well be 'and' ;-)

The main course, if it can be called that, is the variety of pooris, these are simply fantastic, straight from the frying pan, fresh and hot, I can vouch for the oil they use, it almost feels healthier than at home :D
All the pooris are served with baby potato curry and dal, Bengali style (somewhat sweetish, which I love). There are three varieties of pooris I have tried and I love them all (no or, and as I mentioned earlier). First is the plain luchi or simple poori, second is the hing kachori which is poori with lots of hing/asofeitida which I like and the third is the stuffed alu poori. The last two, I believe are KC Das specials, not seen it anywhere else (ofcourse, not been to authentic Bengali restaurants other than 6 Ballygunje place long back). These can be quite filling.

Last and most important is....the sweets!!! The ones I have tried: Jamoon (all 3 types, roughly corresponding to rare, medium, welldone), Rossomanjari, Rossogollas, Rajbhog, Khirkadam, Probhubhog, Mishti Dahi....there are so many that remain on my list :-)
Among the above, Jamoon is a classic, it is simply mouth watering...never tasted Jamoon as good as this. Rossomanjari, Khirkadam, Rajbhog, Probhubhog in that order followed by Rossogolla are my choices.

The best thing about Bengali sweets are that they are the healthiest among all types of sweets, they are usually milk and sugar, thats it, not too much ghee, cashew etc. This was told to me by a cousin who's a doctor., so I believe it!!!

And the best part, the bill for all this, i.e., samosa/kachori/cutlet, pooris, 1-2 sweets comes to around Rs 40-60 per head max !!!! and it is filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment