Saturday, December 5, 2009

Brindavan, MG Road

Brindavan on MG road is an old time favourite, in my college days, during the very few visits to the area, this was the only place I remember going to, simply because this was the only place that was affordable for me as a student. All old time Bangaloreans know this place really well, it is a hotel with decent, moderately priced lodging and a very down-to-earth South Indian restaurant, I think it also has a multi cuisine restaurant, but I have not been there.

Just yesterday, I was in the area and felt really hungry, so me and a friend headed to Brindavan. It was quite early in the morning, and we were sure that this is the only place that will be open at 10am on a weekend.

Times food guide had ranked the dosa here very highly a couple of years back if I remember correctly. So, we tried rava dosa and plain dosa, both were just perfect. Not too oily, not too crisp, not too thick, nor too thin,...can go on. The chutney is very good and the sambar, my God! easily one of the best ever!!! This with tea/coffee costs Rs 75, that is the good part of Brindavan.

They are in a neighborhood that I see is becoming increasingly pretentious, exorbitant, and they remain like an island in a time warp, seemingly unaffected by all that is around. I like the old world ambiance, it is not the fanciest but is neat and clean. The staff are courteous yet not phony, no phony musical greetings, hellos, etc. Dont get me wrong, I love the phony and pretentious part too...which is why I like the really upmarket restaurants as well, but then, depending on my mood, sometimes, I want plain delicious food, at a reasonable price minus all the drama, fanciness, fake-ness, etc, that is the time I visit this place.

On working days, the lunch here is great, it is like a food in a traditional Karnatka function, 2 veg curries, 1 salad, 1 chutney, chapatis(soft and wonderful), rice (no soda, yes!!!), sambar and rasam (no garlic!!!), payasa (sweet)...and all this Rs 80!!! Only place that comes remotely close to this place in the neighborhood is the Airlines restaurant in the cross that connects Lavelle road and SBI junction on St Mark's road.

If you like dosas, you must visit Brindavan, it is simply amazing and you will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment